HISTORY shows that:
March 1975 - Rep Parren J Mitchell of Maryland, a person with Vitiligo presented H.R. 5264 to the house floor with 10 sponsors but it got NO Where...
February 1977 - AGAIN, Rep Parren Mitchell presented H.R. 3520 and got ONLY 16 sponsors, one of whom was Rep Shirley Chisholm(NY). This bill would authorize the Secretary to make GRANTS and enter into contracts with such entities and with individuals for projects for:
(1) research and research training in the diagnosis, treatment, and control of vitiligo;
(2) the development of programs to educate the public concerning the nature and inheritance of the disease.
It has been 48 years ago that VITILIGO was first presented to the U. S. House of Representative. This is our CAUSE and it is time that attention be given to this matter. We are working on a post-card but in the mean time, we ask that in our National Vitiligo Community, that every State group would make contact with their Senator and State Representative in Congress and share the FACTS about Vitiligo and SHARE what our Community are ASKING for - - It's TIME:
- Full Insurance coverage for Doctor visits and treatment for Vitiligo
- Correct designation of Vitiligo as a disease NOT a "mere cosmetic issue"
- Early education curriculum to include Vitiligo as a skin condition
- Attention given to the bullying of Vitiligo patients, especially children
- Full Coverage for mental and emotional care for Vitiligo patients
- Funding for Viable support groups for Vitiligo patients
- A National Vitiligo Act that recognizes our condition and our plight and also recognizes June 25, which is celebrated globally as our day...World Vitiligo Day!
Our community is honored to have attended:
- 2015 Inaugural Massachusetts State House Vitiligo RALLY
- 2016 Visit with State Reps & Senators before our inaugural Capitol Steps Rally
- 2017 Lobby Day on the Capitol
- 2017 MA State House Lobby Day
- 2018 Congressional Black Caucus Meeting
- 2019 American Academy of Dermatology Meeting in D.C.
- 2019 Global Vitiligo Meeting in D.C.
- 2019 The Skin of Color Coalition Meeting in D.C.
- 2021 FDA hearing via ZOOM
- 2023 Coalition of Skin Diseases in D.C.
"Boots on the ground for our cause..."
*See ADVOCACY photo album:
2018 our community attended our first
Congressional Black Caucus Conference
in Washington, DC.
Our 1st Lobby Day
October 4, 2017
Dr Wallace with Rep Maxine Waters D-CA and VITFriends Vice-President Patricia Rossy
Below, Find and Write to your legislator. Tell them about World Vitiligo Day. Tell them about your Support Group. Tell them about our CAUSE and about our annual Vitiligo Conference!
Please HELP! - Please do your part!
CONTACT your senators: Health Legislative Aide
How to WRITE the U.S. Congress:
- Living Dappled shares ideas on writing your elected officials:
Advocacy Email TIPS
Erika Page - & - Alicia Roufs
Making a Difference!
1st Vitiligo Lobby Day - October 4, 2017